- For the province, see Avelorn (province).
- Avelorn requires The Queen and the Crone to play.
- 1 Background
- 2 How they play
- 3 In battle
- 4 In campaign
- 5 Strategy
Avelorn is a sheltered inner kingdom of Ulthuan, ruled by the Everqueen herself who holds court among the temperate forests. The kingdom is supposedly favoured by Isha, the mother goddess, and is seen as the spiritual center of Ulthuan by High Elves. Thus Avelorn sits at Ulthuan's heart, and its symbol is hands clasping a heart, flanked by vines.
How they play
For general information about High Elves, see that page.
- Units: Varied unit roster with spellcasters and dragons, tend to focus on quality over quantity, bonuses for Handmaidens and Sisters of Avelorn.
- Martial Prowess: In battle, High Elf armies gain extra bonuses while they are at full strength.
- Intrigue and Influence: In campaign, High Elves can spend this resource to manipulate other factions, or to recruit powerful characters.
- Espionage and Trade: If High Elves make a trade agreement they gain vision of that faction's territory. They also benefit greatly from trade in general.
- Invocation of Lileath: A unique rite which gives bonuses to certain units.
- Defender of Ulthuan, Mortal World's Torment: Avelorn and Alarielle weaken if Chaos grows strong, or if Ulthuan is occupied by non-High Elves.
- World Root Entrance: This building chain allows Avelorn to recruit Wood Elves tree spirit units such as Dryads.
- Sword of Khaine: As an elven faction, Avelorn can draw the Sword of Khaine.
Avelorn uses the High Elves unit roster with the following additions:
Legendary lord choices
- Alarielle the Radiant - a powerful spellcaster and leader
World Root Entrance
- I World Root Entrance (Dormant)
- Unlocks recruitment of Dryads
- III World Root Entrance (Withered)
- Unlocks recruitment of Tree Kin
- V World Root Entrance (Revived)
- Unlocks recruitment of Treeman
The Handmaiden's Gallery is a High Elf building which unlocks recruitment of Handmaidens and Sisters of Avelorn. Avelorn gets to build this at settlement level III rather than the usual level IV Woodlands, meaning they can construct it in minor settlements.
The Handmaiden's Gallery is now an Avalorn exclusive building. Earlier versions of the game had the Handmaiden's Gallery available for other High Elf factions at tier 4, though this building has been scrapped and its units reallocated to the Woodlands line.
- Alarielle leaves lingering bonuses on provinces she travels through.
- Alarielle weakens as Chaos grows stronger.
Defender of Ulthuan
Defender of Ulthuan is a campaign mechanic which gives benefits to Avelorn when all regions of Ulthuan are held by High Elf factions, and negatives/penalties when they are not. This represents the people of Ulthuan looking to their Everqueen Alarielle for protection and guidance, and how much faith they have in her. The current amount of faith (as a percent from 0% to 100%) can be viewed by mousing over the DoU symbol in the top center of the screen.
- Faith in her gets especially low when the inner provinces of Ulthuan (Avelorn, Saphery, Ellyrion, Eataine) is breached by non-High Elf factions. This includes enemies taking the Fortress Gates.
The following are all affected by the people's trust in Alarielle:
- Public order (faction wide)
- Construction cost for all buildings
- Diplomatic relations with other High Elves factions
- Income from all buildings
- Influence cost: -25% for Influence and Intrigue at the Court actions
Invocation of Lileath
The Invocation of Lileath is a rite unique to Avelorn which replaces the Invocation of Hoeth that other High Elves factions have. It provides bonuses to magic item drop chance (+50%), spell cooldowns (-30% all spells), and Channeling Spire army ability.
- Habitable: Frozen, Savannah, Magical Forest, Island
- Unpleasant: Temperate, Wasteland, Mountain, Jungle
- Uninhabitable: Ocean, Chaotic Wasteland, Desert
- Avelorn (province) (Gaen Vale only)
- Avelorn (province) (Gaen Vale only)
- Short Campaign
- Long Campaign
or just have a lord, a handmaiden, and the rest being Sisters of Avelorn. ( see Sisters of Avelorn page)