- For the mount, see Black Dragon (mount).
Dragons once ruled the skies of the world. Now, their race is but a shadow of its former power and majesty. When the Old Ones arrived, the greatest Dragons found the world too warm for their liking and hid from the bright sun, while more still stole into caverns and the ocean deeps with the coming of Chaos. A Black Dragon is capable of slaughtering entire armies with its claws, horns and fangs. With expulsions of noxious gas from its maw, it can wither the lungs of its victims and desiccate their flesh. The thick hide of a Black Dragon protects it from even the weightiest blows. Perhaps the greatest weapon of all is the overwhelming Wyrm-dread that fills the enemy upon sighting such a bloodthirsty and destructive monster.
- ↑ Noxious Breath: Some Dragons breathe noxious fumes that have a long-lasting effect on their target's coordination - if it survived the attack in the first place.
- ↑ Armoured: Armoured units can block damage from any source apart from Armour-Piercing damage.
- ↑ Armour-Piercing: The damage of armour-piercing weapons mostly ignores the armour of the target, making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies. They are often heavier and attack at a slower rate though, making them less efficient against poorly-armoured targets.
- ↑ Scaly Skin: Scaly skin or hides help to dampen or deflect the damage caused by missile weapons, increasing this unit's Missile Resistance.
The Black Dragon is a solid middle ground amongst dragons. If the Sun Dragon is the bottom and the Star Dragon is the top, this unit is closest to a Moon Dragon. The two have the same melee stats and health. The Black dragon has 20 more armour which does put it from decently well armoured to well armoured.
Of course, among the Dark Elves, there is no other dragon option. For that reason, the Black Dragon is a valuable armour piercing, fear, and terror causing monster. Its breath attacks can devastate enemies from afar as well. The 25% missile resist on top of the higher armour allows it to shrug off missile attacks easier than most other dragons.