- Clan Skryre requires The Prophet and the Warlock paid DLC to play as.
Clan Skryre is a playable Skaven faction introduced in Total War: Warhammer II. It is led by Ikit Claw and can be found in Skavenblight, south of Athel Loren in the Mortal Empires campaign and in eastern Lustria in the Eye of the Vortex campaign.
- 1 How they play
- 2 Background
- 3 In battle
- 4 In campaign
- 5 Diplomacy
- 6 Strategy
- 7 Trivia
How they play[edit | edit source]
A summary of Clan Skryre gameplay:
- Units: Masses of cheap expendable units, backed up horrifying monsters, and devastating war machines. No cavalry or flying units.
- Skaven Under-Empire: Skaven settlements appear as ruins to other factions, until discovered. Additionally, Skaven can establish secret Under-Cities beneath enemy settlements.
- Food: Food is a special resource that Skaven must manage alongside money. It can increase usage of army abilities or help upgrade settlements.
- The Menace Below: In campaign battles, Skaven have a unique army ability called The Menace Below which summons Clanrats. Spending food increases the amount of times this can be used.
- Skaven Corruption: In campaign, Skaven must manage Skaven Corruption which both benefits and harms them.
- Loyalty: Lords have different loyalty levels, which can cause them to take their army and rebel against you.
- Stances: Stalking replaces default stance and gives a chance to ambush. Skaven also have access to the Underway, like Dwarfs and Greenskins.
- Rites: Skaven have access to various rites which grant bonuses in campaign.
- Forbidden Workshop: Ikit Claw has access to faction-specific upgrades for Skaven Weapons teams, Doom-flayers, and Doomwheels. He can also build and upgrade Doomrockets. These upgrades cost Food and Warp-fuel.
Background[edit | edit source]
|“||"Yes-yes. The essence of the warpstone feeds my machine. To create, one must-must destroy! To destroy, one must-must create! This will-will be great-best invention! Make-force all skaven bow-grovel! Destroy-kill all-all enemies!"||„|
Clan Skryre are the inventors and industrialists of the Skaven Under-Empire. From their headquarters in Skavenblight, they create foul machines which combine magic and science to destroy the enemies of the Skaven. Doom-Flayers, Doomwheels, Doomrockets, Warplock Jezzails, Warpfire Throwers, Warp Lightning Cannons and Ratling Guns are all inventions of Clan Skryre, as is the poison gas used by Poison Wind Globadiers. Clan Skryre are also one of the richest and most influential clans - they make a fortune hiring their war machines to other clans, and their leader Lord Morskittar, known as the Emperor of Warlocks, has a seat on the Council of Thirteen. Ikit Claw himself is not the overall clan leader, but an important high-ranking Warlock Engineer. The inventions of Clan Skryre rival and in some cases surpass those of the Engineers of the Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs.
In battle[edit | edit source]
Clan Skryre plays like a regular Skaven faction with the following exceptions:
Doomrockets[edit | edit source]
- Doomrockets- Nuke ability
In campaign[edit | edit source]
Legendary Lord choices[edit | edit source]
- Ikit Claw - a powerful spellcaster and able to ride war machines as mounts.
Faction effects[edit | edit source]
- Access to the Forbidden Workshop
- Research rate +20%
- Loyalty +2 for newly recruited characters
- Construction cost -40% for Engineering branch Skaven buildings
Forbidden Workshop[edit | edit source]
Climate preferences[edit | edit source]
Climate preferences for Clan Skryre:
- Habitable: Savannah, Jungle, Desert, Temperate, Mountain, Wasteland
- Unpleasant: Chaotic Wasteland, Frozen
- Uninhabitable: Temperate Island, Magical Forest, Ocean
Start locations[edit | edit source]
- Volcanic Islands (Star Tower only)
Victory conditions[edit | edit source]
Vortex Victory (Eye of the Vortex)[edit | edit source]
- Complete all rituals
- Win The Final Battle
Domination Victory (Eye of the Vortex)[edit | edit source]
- Destroy the following factions: Order of Loremasters, Lothern, Naggarond, Hexoatl, Cult of Sotek, Khemri
- Maintain control of 50 provinces
Short campaign (Mortal Empires)[edit | edit source]
- Maintain at least 50% of the following corruption in the specified province(s): Skaven Corruption
- Yn Edri Eternos
Long campaign (Mortal Empires)[edit | edit source]
Diplomacy[edit | edit source]
Mortal Empires[edit | edit source]
- Spineless - Typical verminous valour - easly dominated and prone to flee.
- Underdog - Instead of trying to get to the top of the food chain, this one prefers joining a worthy faction in confederation.
- Ruin-Dweller - This one often sends troops to capture the ruins left behind by destructive forces.
Starting agreements[edit | edit source]
Mortal Empires[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A beginning player may think they have fought against Skaven before and run afoul of their menace below ability, stalking stance leading to surprise ambushes and hidden cities. They may think that all Skaven are the same and one rat is hardly different from the other, but that would be a grievous mistake if they were ever fighting against Clan Skryre. When playing any other faction or lord, Clan Skryre still has access to Doomrockets and is unafraid to use them in a battle. Beware clumping up or leaving forces idle as they may be reduced to nothing by these mad scientist rats.
At the current balance of the Mortal Empires campaign, AI Clan Skryre tends to gain power in the Estalia and Tilea region before expanding North into Southern Brettonia, or South and East towards Belegar or Aranessa's starting location. This is not a bad path for the player to follow either.
In Vortex, Clan Skryre is on the edge of the battle royale that is Lustria. As such they should focus on taking out specific enemies or factions with surgical and targeted strikes, making temporary peace with one enemy while you destroy the next.
One of the most satisfying things to do as Clan Skryre is to expand your under-empire into Athel Loren and simultaneously blow up every settlement with the Doomsphere building. Immediately eliminating one of the hardest races to fight against, without a battle.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Initally, the Forbidden Workshop had only the Jezzails, Ratling Guns, Doom Flayers, and Doomwheels. This was changed as of the Potion of Speed update to add in the new Warp Grinders and Poison Wind Mortar weapon teams. In addition, Creative Assembly added new slots for the Poison Wind Globadiers and Death Globe Bombardiers in the base game. This amounts to a doubling of the upgrades Ikit Claw can make.
- Clan Skryre was originally led by a generic lord by the name of Obscide before being made playable in The Prophet and the Warlock DLC.