- Climate should not be confused with terrain, corruption and attrition which are all different.
- Climate should not be confused with weather effects such as storms, sandstorms from the Great Incantation of Khsar, or the Mists of Yvresse.
In Total War: Warhammer II each settlement on the campaign map has a different climate. Each faction has different preferences for the climate of areas they wish to occupy. One may prefer jungle, while another may find jungles unpleasant and prefer frozen areas. While factions can occupy settlements in any climate, doing so in an unpleasant/uninhabitable climates incurs various penalties.
Currently there are 10 climates in Total War: Warhammer II.
|Chaotic Wasteland||Nature’s rules do not apply in regions under the influence of the Ruinous Powers. Only the followers of the Dark Gods could hope to remain here, and even they do so at great personal risk.|
|Wasteland||Scorched or scoured - nothing grows here and only a few races could survive in this region, let alone thrive.|
|Frozen||Eternal winter blights this region. Lakes of ice, fierce shard storms and snow-covered fjords scatter the environment. It takes a determined kind of people to eke out a life here.|
|Ocean||The oceans of the world harbor many great wrecks and treasures, as only the best seafaring races can truly master its currents and tides.|
|Mountain||The snow-capped peaks of this world scrape the sky. Mountainous regions are hazardous, although those races that inhabit them rarely live on the surface.|
|Temperate Island||Climate on the isles in this region is changeable. However, the trees grow tall and strong, the hunting is good, and crops can be grown by competent farmers.|
|Temperate||The terrain of this region consists of lush grasslands and sprawling forests, with food and resources in abundance.|
|Magical Forest||Steeped in magic, just who is allowed to remain in the forests' interior is the will of the trees themselves and their spirit allies.|
|Savannah||Scattered tree growth is broken by course grasslands and watering holes. Here, the climate is hot and the bugs grow large.|
|Jungle||Dense jungle is hot and humid, and often home to creatures and plants that consider potential empire-builders to be prey.|
|Desert||The sun burns and very little grows here, yet the shifting sands of this region hide more than mere dunes - certain races have proven tenacious in this climate.|
Climate preferences table
In the table below, green = favorable, yellow = Unpleasant, red = Uninhabitable.
Hover over the abbreviated links to see which faction they refer to.
Additionally, note that the table is very wide. There is a scroll bar at the bottom, for desktop PC users. Mobile users can swipe left to see the right hand side of the table.
|Humans1||Dwarfs||Greenskins||Vampire Counts||High Elves||Dark Elves||LM||Skaven||Tomb Kings||Vampire||NSC||WE9|
- 1. Human factions include The Empire, Bretonnia, Kislev and Southern Realms.
- 2. Sub-factions of the Dwarfs with different climate preferences.
- 3. Sub-faction of the Vampire Counts with unique climate preferences.
- 4. Sub-factions of the High Elves all with unique climate preferences.
- 5. Sub-faction of the Dark Elves with unique climate preferences.
- 6. Sub-faction of the Skaven with different climate preferences.
- 7. Sub-factions of the Tomb Kings with different climate preferences.
- 8. Sub-factions of the Greenskins with different climate preferences.
- 9. Wood Elves have full habitability in all climates, however they also have a special settlement system: They can only build outposts outside of Magical Forest settlements.
Habitable / Favourable
Habitable climates have no penalties for occupying a settlement.
Unpleasant climates are penalized. Construction times of settlements are increased and income, replenishment and public order are lowered:
- Construction time: +3 for Province Capital/Settlement buildings
- Income from all buildings: -15%
- Public order: -1
Uninhabitable climates suffer severe penalties. You can still occupy them, but construction and recruitment times are increased. Income, replenishment, growth and public order are reduced severely:
- Construction time: +100% for all buildings
- Recruitment duration: +1 turn for all units
- Income from all buildings: -50%
- Growth: -7
- Public order: -3