Count Noctilus, once known as Nyklaus von Carstein of Sylvania, was drawn to the maelstrom at the heart of the ocean to feast upon its dark magic. He performed a mighty ritual to transport himself, his castle and all his undead minions there to the Galleon’s Graveyard, a mystical place where wrecks and hulks of the seas are drawn. Reborn as Count Noctilus, he raised the shattered remains of sunken warships to form the hull of the Bloody Reaver and ride the waves of the mortal seas once more.
- ▲ Armoured: Armoured: Armoured units can block damage from any source apart from Armour-Piercing damage.
- ▲ Armour-Piercing: The damage of armour-piercing weapons mostly ignores the armour of the target, making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies. They are often heavier and attack at a slower rate though, making them less efficient against poorly-armoured targets.
- ▲ Melee Expert: Melee Experts might have a very strong melee attack or melee defence, or high values in both. Some also have melee-focused skills like Charge Defence. Use them to counter other strong melee units. When facing them, it is best to take them out before they can enter melee.
- ▲ Aquatic: Where other units of small stature struggle to fight and move in shallow water, Aquatic units excel.
Campaign starting units
Eye of the Vortex & Mortal Empires
Lord of Dread
Count Noctilus abandoned Sylvania to become captain of the Dreadfleet and master of the Galleon's Graveyard; he is the foremost bringer of death upon the high seas
- Upkeep: -20% for Necrofex Colossus units (Lord's army)
- Weapon strength: +15% for large units (Lord's army)
The Bloody Reaver
Noctilus' ship is called The Bloody Reaver with the unique Sylvanian Battlements.
Before being mounted, Count Noctilus begins as a melee infantry unit.
- Master of the Dreadfleet - increase lord recruitment rank factionwide
- Regenerative Hull - increased replenishment rate and recruitment capacity
- Vandal - increased horde growth for The Bloody Reaver, increased income from sacking
- Of the Von Carstein Line - Terror, Regeneration
- Sea Curse - increased leadership and melee defense for Depth Guard, Deck Droppers, Terrorgheists
- Invincible Fleet - increased leadership for Noctilus' army, Noctilus is unbreakable
The Gold, Gore, and Glory Strategy
As Count Noctilus you will start in the Galleons Graveyard. This safehaven is the perfect spot to launch raids and battles from as well as a place to sneak into and heal between fights. Turn one you should immediately defeat the approaching elf army. With the remainder of your movement move to the edge of your regions territory. Lastly click on your lord and go to ship construction. Build the Offices Cabin (Main Building) as well as the Heavy Ballast (Anchor Icon) to get your growth up. Finish it up with setting your settlements commandment to "Dread the Sea". From here on out its a simple roadmap with many different routes to take. I advice spending the next 40 turns raising/sacking settlements, building pirate coves, and leveling up your lord. the coast of Araby and Lustria work well for this. As well as upgrade your Cabin and Anchor for more growth. Focus research on Necrofex related research as well as income and banner/follower tech. Start with researching Salvage Crews then enduring reanimation. Next research the Command crews tree for its construction and income technology. When you complete the 4th upgrade for the cabin start building the Hull of the ship. Build the rest of it and about the same time your done building the tier 5 its time to take settlements. At around turn 40-50 recruit an army of Necrofex Colossus to take Vaul's Anvil. Once taken stay in the settlement until you ensure the construction of Gallows and Walls. Use Slave pits and Totems to get corruption and income to the province at your will. Slowly take the province and focus on security rather than conquest. As the vampire coast conquest isn't as important as raiding and sacking settlements. At this point with your new strength attempt to gain ally ship with Luthor Harkon, Sartosa, and Naggarond to start a powerful trade and military relationship. You may attempt that last step earlier in the game. At this point keep Noctilus in Caledor for defense and raiding while you build the province and a side army. I recommend getting Burke Black from the Admiral tech tree. Once Burke has a strong balanced army send him to Caledor for protection. This will set you up for Noctilus to either conquer Ulthuan, Kill for the Sword of Khaine, or go crazy with pirate coves to rush the ending. Use these steps as a guide not a instruction sheet. There's many paths to success and multiple playthroughs will help hone and sharpen your understanding of his mechanics and the game.