Dilemmas are instant lore-based choice-focused events and, for the most part, random in nature which guide the campaign by granting the player a variety of effects .
- Most have trigger requirements, for example, playing a particular race, research a particular technology or having a lord with high loyalty ;
- Most are actually random: as long as the requirements are met, there is a random chance to trigger;
- Most offer bonuses , some offer bonuses in exchange for one or more penalties (mixed effects) , and a few force a lesser than two evils principle ;
- Bonuses and penalties can be temporaryor permanent, including item rewards;
- Bonuses and penalties can focus on particular characters and armies, or local and factionwide;
- There are no "right" options as each may support a different strategy, so it is up to the player to weigh the pros and cons;
- All have between two to four options;
- All have associated lore.