"I tell you, the comparison with Dragons is a highly misleading one. Wyverns are clearly a different order of beast entirely, being as it were four-limbed rather than six-limbed. Furthermore, Wyverns have none of the redeeming qualities of Dragons. They swap pride for arrogance and nobility for cruelty. There is probably no creature quite so vicious as a Wyvern, which of course is why they ally themselves to Orcs so frequently."
- —Waldemarr, Scholar of Nuln.
Wyverns are cannibalistic predators that are opportunistic hunters and not above eating carrion, which — along with their other filthy habits — ensures Wyverns are amongst the most foul-smelling creatures imaginable. Living high in the barren reaches of the World's Edge Mountains, they often venture far from their bone-filled lairs to devastate Empire towns and farms. When the Greenskins see the menacing silhouette a Wyvern circling high above, they greet it with raucous cheers — another example of the strong imposing their will.
No Orc would be so foolish as to try to tame a fully grown Wyvern. However, adventurous Night Goblins raid Wyvern nests to steal eggs, which are traded or subsequently sold Orcs for a steep price. It is dangerous work to hand-rear a Wyvern to full growth, but they are highly prized mounts for the most powerful Orc Warlords or Great Shamans who form an unnatural bond with these hideous brutes. Wyverns are voracious beasts that always hunger for fresh meat, and their Orc masters are always willing to throw a few unlucky gobbos into the feeding pit of their loyal winged steed.
- ↑ Armour-Piercing: The damage of armour-piercing weapons mostly ignores the armour of the target, making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies. They are often heavier and attack at a slower rate though, making them less efficient against poorly-armoured targets.
- ↑ Scaly Skin: Scaly skin or hides help to dampen or deflect the damage caused by missile weapons, increasing this unit's Missile Resistance.
- ↑ Causes Terror: This unit can cause terror, making its melee target rout for a short time. Units that cause terror are immune to terror and fear themselves.
- ↑ Very Fast: This unit can run circles around most other units, taunting and harrassing the enemy or evading its missile fire.