Games Workshop is a UK company which produces miniatures (ie: models/figurines) and tabletop games. They also publish fantasy and science fiction stories. They are the creators of the Warhammer Fantasy universe that is the setting for Total War: Warhammer and it's sequels.
Founded in 1975, Games Workshop has several different divisions:
- Citadel Miniatures - produces plastic and resin miniatures.
- Forge World - produces high quality resin miniatures for a higher price.
- The Black Library - publishes novels and other stories set in Games Workshop's universes.
- Warhammer 40,000 (currently in 9th edition as of September 2021) — a science fiction/science-fantasy game set in a dark far-future, featuring battles between squads of units, aliens, vehicles etc.
- Warhammer: Age of Sigmar — a high fantasy game featuring smaller skirmish battles between small groups of models.
- Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game — licensed game based on Tolkien's works in the Middle Earth/Arda setting.
- Warhammer: The Old World — a game still in-development, which will be set in Warhammer Fantasy universe
Specialist games and boxed games
Smaller, niche products, often with a limited run.
- Space Hulk — skirmish game set in Warhammer 40k
- Necromunda — skirmish game set in Warhammer 40k
- Warhammer Quest (eg: Silver Tower, Blackstone Fortress, Cursed City) — RPG board game
- Blood Bowl — high fantasy football game
- Warhammer Underworlds — skirmish battle game set in Age of Sigmar
- Warcry — small skirmish game set in Age of Sigmar
- Kill Team — skirmish game set in Warhammer 40k
- Aeronautica Imperialis — aerial dogfighting game set in Warhammer 40k
Notable former games
- Warhammer Fantasy Battle - a game featuring large armies of fantasy miniatures doing battle, discontinued in 2015.
- Dreadfleet - a boxed game where players used model ships to do battle on the high seas of Warhammer Fantasy. Dreadfleet was released in 2011 and influenced the Vampire Coast race in Total War: Warhammer. Wikipedia page.
- Man'O'War — naval battle game set in Warhammer Fantasy
- Battlefleet Gothic — space fleet battle game set in Warhammer 40k
- Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - a pen and paper RPG first published by Games Workshop in 1986. 2nd (2004), 3rd (2009), and 4th (2018) editions were produced by other companies licensed by Games Workshop.
Licensed video games
Games Workshop has sold their license to video game developers such as Creative Assembly, Relic Entertainment and FatShark games. This has led to videogames such as the Total War: Warhammer series, the Dawn of War series and Warhammer: Vermintide series.