"Everfing I see is mine. All da uvver bits are mine too - I just ain't got there yet. When we reach da end of da whole world, we'll turn around and march back."
- - Grimgor Ironhide
These unruly warriors dwell in the Badlands, mountains and other wild areas and love nothing more than a good fight. From time to time, they will come together in a great “Waaagh!” - an invasion of civilised lands. Greenskins feature masses of poorly-disciplined infantry, alongside boar-riding cavalry and monsters like trolls and giant spiders.
- 1 How they play
- 2 Background
- 3 In Battle
- 4 In the Campaign
- 4.1 Legendary Lord Choices
- 4.2 The Underway
- 4.3 Waaaghs!
- 4.4 Savage Orcs
- 4.5 Vandalism
- 4.6 Buildings
- 4.7 Technology
- 4.8 Inventory
- 4.9 Stances
- 4.10 Post-battle options
- 4.11 Settlement options
- 4.12 Commandments
- 4.13 Climate preferences
- 4.14 Regional occupation (Only in Total War: Warhammer I)
- 4.15 Followers
- 4.16 Dilemmas and Events
- 4.17 Start Position
- 4.18 Victory Conditions
- 5 Diplomatic traits
- 6 Strategy
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Videos
How they play[edit | edit source]
A summary of Greenskins gameplay:
- Units: Masses of cheap infantry, combined with cavalry, and large monsters.
- Regiments of Renown: These are unique, more elite versions of regular Greenskins units, available in a DLC.
- Vandalism: Greenskins leave behind harmful buildings for the enemy, after sacking or razing a settlement.
- Unique stances: Use Underway allows Greenskins to traverse impassable terrain, while Raidin' Camp combines raiding and encamp.
- Savage Orcs: In campaign, Savage Orcs units can only be recruited with the special Savage Orcs resource.
- Waaagh! In battle, they have the Waaagh! ability, while in campaign they can issue a Call to WAAAGH!
Background[edit | edit source]
|“||Stoopid humie gitz – we iz da best!||„|
Orcs and Goblins are the scourge of the Old World. Collectively known as Greenskins, they are an aggressive and brutal race with an unquenchable love of fighting. For most nations, war is a means to an end - an act of aggression to conquer and dominate an enemy. However, the Greenskins - and the Orcs in particular - revel in battle purely for the sake of it. Orcs are built for violence - brutal, bullying creatures of jutting jaws and hulking appearance. The Goblins, by contrast, are smaller but more cunning as they mob up in greater numbers. This motley cast is supported by a fell menagerie of other creatures from wolves to Trolls, monstrous spiders to lumbering Giants.
Yet it’s the Orcs that dominate - their violent temperament keeping them top of the Greenskin tree. Orc attacks range from raids to mighty Waaaghs! where Greenskins of all stripes congregate in their tens of thousands under a single leader, who they believe has been chosen by Gork (or Mork) - the fickle gods of Orc-dom - to lead the mighty green tide on a rampage across the world. It is the Waaagh! that the other, weaker, races fear the most, as once an Orc Warboss gains enough momentum his horde can only ever be stopped at great cost. The Empire is a common target - having been ravaged countless times by infamous Waaaghs! throughout history. Yet it is the Dwarfs that harbour a special hatred of Orcs and their despicable kin, as the Dawi have lost many of their legendary strongholds to Greenskin incursions.
While the Greenskins have made lairs in ransacked Dwarfen holds, they can be found across the world - the majority residing in the arid Badlands, mainly fighting amongst themselves and occasionally coming together as a greater threat. Now such an occasion is upon us, for Grimgor Ironhide comes south. Goaded by Gorfang Rotgut, the boss of Black Crag, Ironhide marches with his Black Orcs. Once Black Crag is his, surely the Badlands will follow? And then the rest of the Dwarf realms shall fall to his ever-growing Waaagh!, all while the Empire and the other humie realms burn. This is what Gork and Mork demand; please them and ensure the mobs shout the name "GRIMGOR" for the rest of time!
In Battle[edit | edit source]
Unit Roster[edit | edit source]
Grimgor's 'Ardboyz has a diverse unit roster which is not really lacking in any one area. There are many kinds of fairly cheap or expendable infantry, ranged and melee cavalry, heavy infantry such as Black Orcs, warbeasts, chariots, artillery (eg: the Doom Diver) and monstrous units such as Trolls, Arachnarok Spiders, Giants. Their sole flying unit is the Wyvern, available as a mount.
Regiments of Renown[edit | edit source]
Waaagh![edit | edit source]
Waaagh! (ability) is an ability available to all Greenskins lords which gives speed, melee attack and charge bonus to all units in their army. Grimgor, like the other Greenskin Legendary Lords, has a unique Waaagh! mechanic.
In the Campaign[edit | edit source]
Grimgor's 'Ardboyz is a normal, non-horde faction that controls settlements and provinces.
Legendary Lord Choices[edit | edit source]
Legendary Lords for Grimgor's 'Ardboyz:
- Grimgor Ironhide - an extremely powerful, durable warrior on foot.
The Underway[edit | edit source]
The Underway is a network of caverns and tunnels that run under much of the world. Greenskin armies can enter the Use Underway stance to travel underground, avoiding danger. However this carries a chance of being intercepted. Many battle maps take place underground in the underway, see underway for a full list.
Waaaghs![edit | edit source]
Savage Orcs[edit | edit source]
Vandalism[edit | edit source]
Greenskins leave behind vandalism buildings for the enemy, after sacking or razing a settlement.
Buildings[edit | edit source]
Technology[edit | edit source]
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Stances[edit | edit source]
Post-battle options[edit | edit source]
Greenskins post-battle options for captives are as follows:
- Eat Captives (increased casualty replenishment rate)
- Slaughter Captives (Bonus experience)
- Ransom Captives (Income)
Settlement options[edit | edit source]
Greenskins have these settlement options when they have captured a settlement:
- Loot and Occupy
- Raze - also leaves harmful vandalism buildings behind
Commandments[edit | edit source]
See the article on commandments for a list of Greenskins commandments:
Climate preferences[edit | edit source]
- Favorable: Wasteland, Savannah, Mountain
- Unpleasant: Temperate, Frozen, Desert, Jungle
- Uninhabitable: Ocean, Chaotic Wasteland, Magical Forest, Island
Regional occupation (Only in Total War: Warhammer I)[edit | edit source]
Under the regional occupation system of Total War: Warhammer, Greenskins can only occupy mountains and badlands. They cannot occupy temperate lowlands areas which are restricted to the humans and Vampires. Nor can they occupy Norsca.
Followers[edit | edit source]
Dilemmas and Events[edit | edit source]
Start Position[edit | edit source]
Grimgor's 'Ardboyz starts in the Black Crag region of Death Pass.
Victory Conditions[edit | edit source]
- Short Campaign
- Destroy the following faction(s):
- Occupy, loot, raze or sack 25 different settlements.
- Destroy the following faction(s):
- Earn 10,000 money from raiding
- Ensure that Archaon the Everchosen is in a wounded state
- Long Campaign
The same as the short campaign, with the following additions:
- Occupy, loot, raze or sack 50 different settlements.
- Control all of the following Dwarfholds either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies:
- Earn 20,000 money from raiding.
- Aggressive - Belligerent and wermongering, their armies reach far with little regard for defence.
- Unreliable - Agreements hold little sway. This one is not to be trusted.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Greenskin armies are extremely varied, comprising orcs, goblins, trolls, giants, squigs and spiders. This melting pot excels at adapting to any battlefield circumstance. Combat is what Greenskins live for and unsurprisingly, periods of peace cause major attrition as they start stabbing at each other. Keep everyone on a warpath and the troops will not have to resort to infighting. Speaking of infighting: Internecine warfare makes the Greenskins scattered and individually weak. Settling quarrels between the tribes is the first step to uniting them and creating a Waaagh! that will shake the very foundations of the world.
- Grimgor's 'Ardboyz is a faction geared towards aggressive gameplay focusing on sacking and raiding thanks to the bonus income received that way; their settlement options and technology trees are limited, not to mention they cannot trade at all, so resources are also largely meaningless. Your primary focus, therefore, is striking deep into enemy territory, aided by your ability to recruit anywhere on the map, aided by a very robust catalogue of units ranging from the cheap, yet easily routed goblins to the stout, aggressive orcs. Flexibility and mobility are the greenskins' distinguishing feature - well, that and the large number of monsters. This makes playing them a bit of a diverse challenge, on the one hand, they are quite forgiving in battle mode, but maintaining fightiness and logistics during the campaign can be a challenge.
- Fightiness (Warhammer I only) deserves elaboration: Greenskins who don't fight start to tear themselves apart. Those who fight a lot get a chance of spawning a Waaagh!, an AI controlled Greenskin army. Fightiness is what also makes Greenskins a challenge to confront: Trying to disassemble them piecemeal only makes them stronger. Decisive battles work best.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Potion of Speed Update for Total War: Warhammer II the faction received a name change. Previously, they had the generic name "Greenskins", sharing the name of their race and got changed into "Black Crag", reflecting their home province.
- In the next patch, The Total Waaagh! Update, the name was changed once again, this time into "Grimgor's 'Ardboyz".
Videos[edit | edit source]
Greenskins/Grimgor Ironhide introduction trailer[edit | edit source]
Greenskins intro[edit | edit source]
How to play the Greenskins: Campaign Strategy[edit | edit source]
How to play the Greenskins: Unit Roster & Battle Strategy[edit | edit source]
How to play the Greenskins: Lords & Heroes[edit | edit source]