Grombrindal - The White Dwarf
Starting around October 22, 2016 and continuing into November, Steam codes for Grombrindal was given out for free in Games Workshop stores around the world. Additionally codes for Grombrindal came with copies of Games Workshop's White Dwarf Magazine. Following this, he was unavailable for a few months.
Then on January 19, 2017, Grombrindal became available as a free DLC on Steam.
Grombrindal can be downloaded free on Steam here.
Grombrindal is an enigmatic figure, recorded throughout the Dwarfs' history, appearing to give aid to his bearded kin whenever they find themselves in a particularly dire and unfavourable situation. Just what can one Dwarf do when a Karak is besieged by thousands of Greenskins, or a Dwarf throng surrounded and outnumbered by a warherd of braying, ravenous Beastmen, however? In Grombrindal’s case, it turns out that he can do quite a lot; the White Dwarf is a mighty warrior, some say bettered only by Grimnir himself. Every slash of his legendary axe see the heads of urks tumble from their dishonourable shoulders.
- Additional Starting Units
- Lord Effects
- Evasion chance when using the Underway: +60% (all characters)
- Reinforcement range: +50% for Grombrindal's army
- Can call upon the power of the Ancestor gods - a special repeating dilemma called The Living Ancestor will appear for you.
- +20% Weapon strength vs. Elves (Lord's army)
- +10 Leadership (Lord's army)
- ↑ Armoured: Armoured units can block damage from any source apart from Armour-Piercing damage.
- ↑ Armour-Piercing: The damage of armour-piercing weapons mostly ignores the armour of the target, making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies. They are often heavier and attack at a slower rate though, making them less efficient against poorly-armoured targets.
- ↑ Melee Expert: Melee Experts might have a very strong melee attack or melee defence, or high values in both. Some also have melee-focused skills like Charge Defence. Use them to counter other strong melee units. When facing them, it is best to take them out before they can enter melee.
The White Dwarf occupies a unique role in the dawi armory. Lacking the raw killing power of the High King or the sturdy resilience of Ironhammer, it can be easy to dismiss the White Dwarf as a useless lord. The reality is quite different.
The White Dwarf excels as a compliment to your army - with his flash-bomb he can slow-down and deal immense damage to a variety of units, from elite infantry to the dreaded SEMs/chariots. Use him to lock enemy units in place and buy-time for your army to reform ranks or focus their fire appropriately, whilst his unbreakable nature enables him to hold the line until his last breath.
In multiplayer, the Flash-Bomb, ideally complimented by the Rune Axe of Grombrdinal allows him to deal immense armour-piercing damage to priority units, whilst simultaneously lowering their morale drastically. But be wary - compared to his compatriots, he does lack some armour making him quite susceptible to focused missile fire.