Noble is a High Elves melee infantry unit in Total War: Warhammer II. High Elf aristocrats are precise and calculating, and they bring this nature to the battlefield.
High Elf Nobles are the leaders of their own respective armies and companies, warriors whose skill at arms and years of experience far surpass those of any other mortal race. The noble families of Ulthuan have led the High Elves through times of peace and conflict for thousands of years. They pride themselves on a deep sense of honour, as well as the mastery of both diplomacy and war as art forms. The High Elves believe an existence lived without precision to be hollow, and scarcely preferable to death. Any Elf Noble is just at home fighting with a sword in bloody melee as he is loosing deathly-accurate arrows from afar, or even dictating the strategy of a campaign from a greater distance still. Though they are loyal to the Phoenix King even unto death, all High Elves of noble blood love intrigue and politics. Unfortunately, this sometimes means that armies are trusted to individuals based on political alignment, rather than on ability. Fortunately these instances are rare -- when the safety of Ulthuan is at stake, few Phoenix Kings have suffered such idiocy for long. There is no shortage of brave and talented commanders among the Asur, and courtly intrigue seldom prevents such individuals from harnessing their skills.
- ↑ Anti-Large: Anti-large units have an advantage against targets that are at least as large as a horse. This advantage can be a damage bonus against large targets or an attack that focuses on a very small area. However, some units are simply better against large targets because their attacks are slow and easy to dodge by skilled melee combatants.
- ↑ Armour-Piercing: The damage of armour-piercing weapons mostly ignores the armour of the target, making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies. They are often heavier and attack at a slower rate though, making them less efficient against poorly-armoured targets.
- ↑ Armoured: Armoured units can block damage from any source apart from Armour-Piercing damage.
- ↑ Charge Defence Against Large Foes: When standing and bracing against a charge of large enemies (such as cavalry or monsters) this unit will negate the enemy's charge bonus.
- Replenish Troops
- Increase Trade
- Secure Influence
- Assault Units
A powerful melee fighter but he has great worth on the campaign map. On foot, Nobles are one of the few High Elf melee units able to return strong offensive damage and make excellent line holders, able to check enemy characters which archers can struggle with. Embedded in an army, Nobles can bolster replenishment and either have maximized melee defense on foot, or be put on a chariot for a mobile flanking unit.
On the campaign map, High Elf Nobles serve as one of the few ways to gain their faction the Influence resource, necessary to hire Lords and Heroes with strong traits and to influence diplomacy. While there are several ways to obtain influence, Nobles are the most reliable way of acquiring more. When choosing a good target for them, look for remote settlements without strong walls (which would lower their success chance) where enemy Heroes cannot interrupt you easily and make sure you can afford lowering your diplomatic relations with the targeted faction.
- Noble (follower), for the Empire follower.