Reikland is a playable faction of The Empire introduced in Total War: Warhammer. It is led by either Karl Franz or Volkmar the Grim and can be found in the western parts of the Empire, close to Dwarfs, Greenskins, Vampire Counts and Bretonnia.
The Emperor is Karl Franz, Prince of Altdorf and Elector Count of Reikland. Karl Franz is said to be the greatest statesman the Old World has ever seen. He is also a military genius and a valiant general. The Emperor frequently takes personal command of his soldiers, like Sigmar, the Warrior-God of old, smiting enemies of the Empire with every blow.
There is little doubt that Karl Franz is one of the greatest generals of his age. He stands at the forefront of the battles against those that would see his beloved realm torn asunder, and it is a responsibility that weighs heavily upon his shoulders.
Volkmar the Grim is both leader and spiritual head of the Cult of Sigmar. He is a pious and foreboding man dedicated to the destruction of evil, whether it takes the form of Chaos or the rotting darkness of Unlife. He is no cleric hiding away from what he decries, nor a priest more content with the wealth and status such a position brings - an accusation that has been justifiably levied at Grand Theogonists in the past. Sigmar was a warrior in life and a god to fighters upon his ascension, so his clergy follow their Lord's example - none more so than Volkmar the Grim. He has fought in countless battles, both on and off the War Altar of Sigmar - a mobile shrine of divine power. When Volkmar fights, the men of the Empire are encouraged by the sight that Sigmar's holy representative smiting his foes in their midst.
As well as a warrior and pious Cult leader, Volkmar is a strong ally to Karl Franz. In fact it was their alliance that gave Franz the three votes he needed to beat Boris Todbringer's candidacy, thus suggesting that amidst the fire and wrath there is shrewdness to Volkmar - something that many in the courts of Altdorf and Middenheim do not give him credit for. However, this has agitated relations between the Cult of Sigmar and Middenland, especially with the Ar-Ulric, the religious leader of Ulric's cult. Hence, there is a need for a strong Emperor on the throne, someone with a powerful congregation of Sigmar's chosen at his side.
- Colleges of Magic: Harness multiple Lores of Magic to bolster the Empire's strength and destroy its enemies.
- Imperial Authority: Develop authority within the Empire by engaging in internal politics and quelling problems to enforce confederation, vassalage or war.
- Summon the Elector Counts: Secure the fealty of the Empire's Lords to govern or take over by force, assigning new, more loyal Elector Counts.
- Well-rounded unit roster with a wide range of magical Lores and war machines.
Emperor Karl Franz Introduction
The newly-crowned Emperor returned from a tour of Reikland to find his capital, Altdorf, besieged by spider-riding Greenskins. Having seen off the Goblin threat, Franz arrives in his court to find the politicking of the Empire already at its height - Middenheim grumbles, and to the south a secessionist rebellion is in full flow. Franz must tread carefully, a wrong move now could split the Empire asunder before his rule has truly begun.
Volkmar the Grim Introduction
The newly-crowned Emperor, Karl Franz, has freed the beleaguered city of Altdorf from the predations of the Greenskins, but the capital is still in turmoil and the Emperor must remain to stabilize the city. He has tasked his strongest ally and leader of the Cult of Sigmar - Volkmar the Grim - to deal with the backlash from his successful election. Volkmar must now act against secessionists to the south and Ulric's agitant supporters in the province of Middenland. Faith and fury will be required!
|Reikland||The Old World|
|Name||Faction Effects||Lord Effects||Starting Units|
|Heir of Sigmar
The newly-elected Emperor is Karl Franz, prince of Altdorf and Elector Count of Reikland. Franz is already garnering a reputation as a great statesman and warrior but has yet to prove himself as sovereign.
"Our names will be remembered in our people's songs until the end of time!"
|Cult of Sigmar
Volkmar the Grim is the head of the Cult of Sigmar and the most powerful religious leader in the Empire. He is a pious and foreboding man, utterly devoted to the destruction of Chaos in all its forms.
"By the comet, that is my decree!"
- Control all provinces of the Empire either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies:
|Eastern Sylvania||Western Sylvania|
- Control any 8 of the following settlements either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies:
|Couronne||Altdorf||Castle Drakenhof||The Oak of Ages||Miragliano||Skavenblight||Kislev||Hell Pit||Karaz-a-Karak||Karak Eight Peaks||Black Crag|
|Lahmia||Khemri||Itza||Hexoatl||Naggarond||Lothern||Gaen Vale||The Awakening||The Galleon's Graveyard||Sartosa|
- Ensure that any military presence belonging to the following factions exists only in the Chaos Wastes region:
|Warriors of Chaos||Warherd of Chaos|
- Continue to expand your territory, ready for the arrival of Archaon the Everchosen.
- Ensure that Archaon the Everchosen is in a wounded state.
Same as the short campaign victory but you need to control 17 racial capitals instead of 8.
When controlled by the AI, Reikland will have the following diplomatic traits:
- Reliable - What is agreed is set in stone. It is highly unlikely that this one will break a treaty or go back on an agreement.
Reikland will start with the following treaties already in effect:
- Reikland plays similarly to traditional Total War factions, with diplomacy playing a major role in the initial stages of the campaign (uniting the Elector Counts with the strength of their arguments or the argument of strength) and strengthening the realm against future threats. Late game focuses on frontline affairs more strongly, as the Empire comes under attack from Chaos.
- This faction starts with a fractured Empire, whereby the provinces of the Empire are ruled by Elector Counts over whom the Emperor has tenuous control at best. However, this same situation also allows for plentiful confederation options that allow other Empire factions to be merged with the Emperor’s via diplomacy. Dwarfs are a vital ally in any Empire game, as they have generally non-overlapping territorial interests and can provide a strong boost to trade. Bretonnia is an excellent ally as well, but can also be dismembered and annexed for special building chains and raw income (eg. Couronne), while Southern Realms can also play that role. Notably, the Southern Realms and Bretonnia can act as a buffer for Beastmen and the Wood Elves of Athel Loren, which have a habit of stomping neighbors into the ground thanks to the edge they have in low tier battles.
- Numerous enemies, dissatisfied Elector Counts to the north and east, Chaos looming even further up, belligerent Orcs to the south, sinister Vampire Counts in Sylvania, vengeful treemen to the east and Beastmen all around. Bretonnia, Tilea, Estalia and the Border Princes can become your enemies should relations turn sour. Lastly, the Dwarfs and their heavily armoured warriors will stop at nothing to settle any grudges with the other factions, try not to put yours on the list. Reikland has a challenging strategic situation, especially under an AI player.
- Overall, The Empire is a very strong race in both singleplayer and multiplayer games. Infantry, especially Halberdiers and Greatswords, can hold the line well, but their ace in the hole is their war machine and cavalry catalogue. Imperial commanders can snatch up Demigryph Knights for wiping out enemy beasts and dealing with large armored threats (though fielding them against Bretonnian massed cavalry charges is a good way to get them killed) together with the Reiksguard shock cavalry (excellent against weaker opponents). The Steam Tank shines among other war machines thanks to its versatility (ram and artillery), with Karl Franz being very powerful (though prohibitively expensive in multiplayer games). Other Lord choices are good, especially Balthasar Gelt after the Lore of Metal improvements. Heroes like the Witch Hunter, Jade Wizard, and Warrior Priests round out the roster for single models, though they might be more useful on the campaign map than in battle.
- No flying units other than high level characters mean the Empire is effectively hamstrung when dealing with factions that love flying units, like Bretonnia, Wood Elves, or Vampire Counts. They have to deal with them defensively, using units such as Handgunners (accurate, high AP), Lore of Light, or the Luminark of Hysh to deal damage to the enemy. Combined with a trapping spell like Net of Amyntok enemy flyers need to be wary of wandering into imperial fields of fire.
- As with other factions with multiple Lords, Reikland is led by its main leader, Karl Franz, when controlled by the AI. Volkmar can still be recruited by the AI though.
- Reikland, and the Empire in its entirety, has a special place in the Total War: Warhammer community, often being first place in community polls on their favorite faction.
- In the Potion of Speed Update the faction received a name change. Previously, they had the generic name "The Empire", sharing the name of their race.