Sarthorael the Everwatcher is a Warriors of Chaos legendary lord unit introduced in Total War: Warhammer. Spoken of for many ages, this powerful Lord of Change is favoured by Tzeentch himself, and fulfils his dark, malicious purpose.
Sarthorael the Everwatcher may also be considered a unique lord.
Although no Daemon's true name can ever be known, there has been talk for aeons of the one called 'Sarthorael'. Like all Lords of Change, the Ever-Watcher revels in his contriving and devious nature, hiding his true manipulative genius behind a screen of erratic and fickle behaviour. Yet Sarthorael is more than a mere Lord of Change - he is one of Tzeentch's favoured, sent to spread mayhem to those that the Great Changer deems deserving. Whilst the world of mortals should tremble when a Lord of Change appears before them, so too should Daemons be wary, for Tzeentch does not discriminate - all are fair targets in his game. And so Sarthorael is sent, watching and waiting, with all the craft and slyness of his master, to judge whether the end can really be brought about and, when the time is right, to see if those who stand upon the wastes really have the strength to do it.
Strengths & Weaknesses
- ↑ Spellcaster: This unit can cast spells.
- ↑ Causes Terror: This unit can cause terror, making its melee target rout for a short time. Units that cause terror are immune to terror and fear themselves.
- ↑ Unbreakable: This unit does not suffer any form of leadership loss and will never rout.
- Sarthorael is an exceedingly powerful target, in no small part due to the fact that he is a Giant unit, sows terror and fear, and a commander to boot. The best bet is to attack him with units that are either immune to his terror-inducing appearance (like your own legendary commanders), support masses of infantry with spears (which poke him to death quite effectively) with leadership boosting commanders, or deliver plenty of punishment at a distance. Alternatively, auto-resolving with an overwhelming force on your side takes care of him quite effectively.
- For maximum effectiveness and slipperiness, click charge orders between one unit to the next, provided they are not any bigger than horses, Sarthorael will charge his way through units with immense ease. This makes him hard to pin down unless you bring monstrous units which help block this animation, albeit not always well. This is best done between the main line engagement from one end to the next, or through a line of missile units to disrupt their fire. Using over casted Transmutation of Lead whilst doing this will reduce most units attack chance to 0 so he can do this with less risk of taking damage. Its the only decent Lore of Metal spell so either use him in this charging manner without spells or use the above tactic, bare in mind that the overcasted version can burn through Sarthorael's health pool.
- Sarthorael appears in the Black Library novel 'Pawns of Chaos' by Brian Craig. In this story, Sarthorael is awakened as an unaware entity cocooned inside a human host. Eventually, it grows and takes its mantle as a Lord of Change before becoming a warp storm. Obviously a creature of great power, it is summoned to win a war by a wizard who does not truly understand the creature's motivations, and it subsequently abandons the fight to enact the will of Tzeentch upon a chaos tainted world.
- Sarthorael is tied with the Beasts of Tashnar (Norscan Warhounds) for most base missile resistance at 50%