Saurus Old-Blood is a Lizardmen melee infantry unit in Total War: Warhammer II. They are the Oldest living Saurus Warriors, having endured centuries - if not millennia - of war. They are the finest warriors their race can field and lead them into battle, riding the greatest mounts the Lizardmen can field. Saurus can´t die of old age and are quite resistant to all sorts of attrition so only death can free them from their duty.
Venerated Lizardmen leaders, they exact brutal vengeance upon enemies and trespassers alike.
The most powerful of their kind, Saurus leaders are more than eight feet of savage reptilian muscle. The highest rank given is the title Old-Blood, while those beneath them are known as Scar-Veterans. They are perfectly designed killing machines, their martial prowess further enhanced by battle experience. To their foes, be they ancient nemeses or simply those who trespass upon the sovereign territory of their masters, the Saurus are nothing less than the vengeance of the Old Ones made manifest. Some Saurus leaders are marked for greatness, bearing a different pattern or crest to the rest of their brethren. Those with pale or albino skin tones are always revered - for they are the favoured of the Old Ones and destined to become mighty heroes. Yet a Saurus need not be different from his comrades to gain veteran status; he need only survive.
All Saurus are spawned within the spawning pools of the Old Ones - though sometimes, instead of a batch of hundreds of warriors, only a handful emerge. Those Warriors have been marked for greatness by the moment of their birth. Those warriors often carry certain blessings of the Old Ones, most notably are the albino spawnings, though regular Saurus have been known to endure for millennia to attain the status of an Old-Blood. All Saurus are born with a distinctive knowledge of warfare, fighting and strategy - they need no teaching or training and can be mustered for duty the moment they are born. Old-Bloods are the first and last line of defense, they are often the first and last to throw themselves into the fray. Old-Bloods are known to be the finest warriors of the world, being known to best Vampire Lords, Black-Orc Waagh bosses or even Greater Demons. The greatest of Old-Bloods is Kroq-Gar who is one of the most ancient beings alive in the Warhammer World.
- ↑ Armour-Piercing: The damage of armour-piercing weapons mostly ignores the armour of the target, making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies. They are often heavier and attack at a slower rate though, making them less efficient against poorly-armoured targets.
- ↑ Armoured & Shielded: Armoured units can block damage from any source apart from Armour-Piercing damage. Shields have a chance of blocking arrows, bolts, rifle shots and similar small arms fire - but only in a forward facing arc.
- ↑ Predatory Senses: These units are natural hunters that can sense prey hiding nearby.
- Old-Bloods are your Melee-Lords. Mounted or not, they excel at cleaving through massed units of Infantry or singling out other Lords. Mounted on a Carnosaur they have a massive Bonus vs. Large which equips them perfectly to take down enemy monsters and mounted Lords and Heroes.
- They will be a prime target for enemy skirmishers though, so keeping them alive will be vital. It will be vital to keep the Old-Blood alive, so keep some healing spells or the revification crystal close might decide about a win or loss.
- Notably among combat lords, the Saurus Old-Blood has significant armour-piercing even when on foot, allowing them to be a much more effective against certain targets.