- See Warhammer (disambiguation) for other uses.
Warhammer Fantasy is a high fantasy universe/setting created in the 1980's by UK company Games Workshop.
It is the setting for many games:
- Total War: Warhammer series — strategy videogames
- Warhammer Fantasy Battle — a tabletop war game played with small miniatures, discontinued in 2015
- Warhammer: The Old World — a new tabletop war game currently in development
- Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay — a pen and paper RPG
- Many other videogames and board games
Influences and similar settings
The setting has numerous influences such as:
- Historical events
- J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth
- Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melninbone stories
- The works of H.P. Lovecraft
- The works of Fritz Leiber (especially the Swords of Lankhmar)
- Runequest - a pen and paper RPG set in the world of Glorantha
In turn, Warhammer has influenced other fantasy settings such as Electronic Arts/Bioware's Dragon Age and Activision/Blizzard's Warcraft.
Warhammer Fantasy eventually influenced the creation of Warhammer 40,000, a separate science fiction/science fantasy universe by Games Workshop.
The setting should not be confused with Age of Sigmar which has some similarities and lore continuity with Warhammer Fantasy, but is for most purposes a different setting.