- Wintertooth requires the Norsca (DLC) to play.
Norsca is an icy mountainous peninsula in the far north, under the shadow of Chaos. Its inhabitants (the hardy and warlike Norscan Tribes) are Chaos-worshippers, and they share their inhospitable land with ferocious monsters. When the Norscans raid and plunder other lands, it is with hordes of barbarian warriors backed up by trolls, mammoths, fimir, skin-wolves and even mighty frost-drakes.
Throgg, the King of the Trolls, is among the most unnaturally intelligent of his vile kind, intent on bringing the world under the rule of a new ice age with himself at its head. Even the most lackwit child knows that Trolls are grossly stupid beasts. Nonetheless, around the campfires of the north, there persist rumours that in the depths of Troll Country there is an elder beast whose mutations were not just of the body but also the mind — a Troll King possessed of a grim and malevolent cunning who seeks to grind the realms of Man under his monstrous rule.
At the heart of an icy labyrinth strewn with the gnawed corpses of once-mighty heroes, the Troll King, Throgg, sits brooding upon his rocky throne. No fanfare announces his arrival, no vassals pay him tithe, and no courtiers vie for his favour. His subjects are drooling, stinking monsters and his domain is a desolate and wind-whipped wasteland. A filth encrusted crown rings one of the Troll King’s tusks, a once priceless heirloom taken from a great warrior whose quest led him only into Throgg’s gullet.
How they play
A summary of Wintertooth gameplay:
- Units: Cheaper, undisciplined marauder units, backed up by many large monstrous units. Few ranged options.
- Regiments of Renown: Wintertooth has access to several RoR, some have special requirements in the campaign.
- Allegiance to the Gods: Wintertooth can gain favour with one of four Chaos Gods, gaining various rewards and bonuses.
- Norsca settlements: Unique settlement system, can only colonise settlements in the Norscan peninsula, coastal settlements and racial capitals, which unlocks technologies.
- Monstrous Arcanum: A book that allows Wintertooth to engage in monster hunt quests, for great rewards.
- The Everchosen's Summons: A special dilemma which allows Wintertooth to join the Chaos Invasion with the Warriors of Chaos, if they choose.
- Tribal Confederation: Wintertooth can confederate Norscan Tribes by defeating their leaders, or vassalize them by taking their last settlement.
They use the Norsca unit roster.
See main Norsca article for details. See below for info unique to Wintertooth.
Legendary Lord choices
Wintertooth players can choose from the following lords when starting a campaign. See the individual lord pages for information on their various bonuses in campaign.
- Throgg – a large monster who can crush enemies in melee, and with a vomit attack from range.
See the page on the Norsca faction for their lord choices.
Cave of the Rocky Throne
- Short Campaign
- Long Campaign